Chocolate Macarons with Ganache| Step by step procedure with picture
French Macarons are popularly known as Almond cookies / Sandwich cookies / egg white cookies. Macaron has two cookies along with a yummy filling in between. For the filling you can make any ganache , buttercream, jam or cheese cream. The outer shell is made of fine almond flour, granulated sugar, egg whites and icing sugar.
I am sure this is a pretty long post with lot of photos. The end product is amazing. So do try it some time and enjoy this chocolate goodies. You may also like Chocolate Fudgy Brownies , Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting , Chocolate chip muffins , Apple Cinnamon Bread with crumbled topping
Food color is used for most of the macarons. Today I am not using any food color in my recipe. Make sure you use exact measurement of the ingredients to get a perfect macaron. Use room temperature egg whites. I am using a hand mixer for beating the egg whites. If you have a stand mixer, then go ahead and use it.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as dessert / snack
AUTHOR : Dimple COURSE : Dessert YIELD : 28-30 macarons
For Outer Shell :
- Almond meal/flour (super fine quality) – 1 cup
- Icing Sugar – 1.5 cups
- Cocoa powder – 4 Tbsp
- Egg whites – 3 (room temperature)
- Granulated white sugar – 1/4 cup
For Filling :
- Chocolate chips – 1/2 cup (semi sweet / bittersweet)
- Butter – 1/2 Tbsp
- Heavy whipping cream – 3/4 cup
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl (Icing sugar, cocoa powder and almond meal).
- Keep a baking tray and parchment paper ready.
For Outer Shell :
- Beating Egg whites :
- Add room temperature egg whites in a large bowl. Beat it using a hand mixer in medium speed.
- After a couple of minutes gradually add in the granulated sugar and beat it over high speed until you get stiff peaks.
- Combining Dry Ingredients :
- Now shift in half of the dry ingredients using a sieve. (Remove lumps if any)
- Gently fold it with the egg whites using a spatula. Just go around the bowl and drag in the center. Repeat the same until combined. Do not over mix it.
- Shift in other half of the dry ingredients. Repeat the same method and mix it.
- Piping Cookies:
- Take a zip lock cover and make a tiny cut at the corner. Place the round piping cone and press it tight.
- Place this in a deep and narrow tumbler (Use any beverage glass). Fill the mix gently in the bag.
- Layer a parchment paper on the baking tray (see *quick tip below).
- Pipe in circles of same size. Just press the piping bag gently and take it off. You will notice a small peak on the top. It will go down in some time. So don’t worry about that.
- When you are done, tap the baking tray carefully for 5-7 times, to make sure there are no lumps.
- Rest it for an hour. (When you touch the top of the cookies, it should not be sticky)
- Baking Cookies :
- Bake the cookies in a preheated oven(350 degree F) for about 12-15 min.
- Rotate the pan once in between(after 6 min).
- When they are done, let it cool down completely.
For Filling :
- Add chocolate chips and butter to a bowl.
- Heat cream over medium heat until it is just hot, not boiling.
- Add hot cream to the choco chips and rest it for a couple of minutes.
- After that, combine well without any lumps.
- Let it cool down until tight.
- Make a piping bag and fill it with the ganache.
For Macarons :
- Pair each cookie with other of same size.
- Arrange those and pipe in the ganache in one cookie.
- Take its pair and press it gently.
- Repeat same for rest of the cookies and your chocolate macarons are ready.
- Refrigerate it and enjoy your macarons.
- *Quick tip : Before placing parchment paper over the baking tray, drop a tiny amount of batter in the corners. It helps the parchment to stick in place which results in getting perfect shapes.
- Use exact measurements for the outer shell. You can alter quantity for ganache.
- Add little coffee powder in ganache to enhance the chocolate flavor.
- After tapping the cookie tray, make sure you don’t have any bubbles in it. If you see some very gently use a toothpick to open it.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :