Kollu Podi | Horsegram powder|Multi purpose chutney podi | Step by step procedure with pictures
Kollu (Horsegram) podi is a multi purpose powder which you can have with Idly or Dosa or rice. I have already shared Flax seed podi recipe which is healthy and multi-purpose like this. If you are a weight watcher then you can have this powder handy and use it regularly in your diet. You may also like Idly milagai podi recipe.
You can use this podi while making vegetables like beans / avaraikai stir-fry. It makes it more tasty and flavorful.
It is also great with hot rice. Add a dollop of ghee or sesame oil on the top. You can have any side dish as you like. I specially like to make Podi-Dosa using this powder with a splash of ghee on it. It will be delicious.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with hot rice with a dollop of ghee or sesame oil on the top.
- Serve with Idly or Dosa. You can even use this for podi Dosa.
- Add to vegetable stir-fry. ( Beans poriyal, Avaraikkai poriyal)
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian COURSE : Side Course
- Horsegram – 1 cup
- Channa dal – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Red chilli – 8-10 as needed
- Curry leaves – few
- Hing / Asafoetida – 1 Tbsp
- Dry roast kollu (horsegram) over medium-low heat.
- Roast it evenly until you get good aroma and change in color. Transfer it to a plate. (remove if any impurities like tiny stones)
- In the same pan roast channa dal until golden brown.
- Roast curry leaves and red chillies for few minutes until curry leaves completely dry.
- Transfer everything to a plate.
- Add hing and salt. Let everything cool down completely.
- Grind in coarsely.
- Transfer to an air tight container. It will stay good for 3-4 months in room temperature.
- You can roast garlic and add while grinding.
- Also you can add 2 Tbsp cumin seeds while roasting.
- Roast over medium heat evenly for best results.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :