Vazhakkai Varuval – Raw Banana Fry | Step by step procedure with pictures
Vazhakkai varuval is a spicy and tasty recipe. I have already shared Vazhakkai Podimas and Vazhakkai deep fry recipe. Today I am sharing a shallow fried spicy varuval recipe which goes well with Bisibelabath , curd rice or any variety rice.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as a side dish for lunch with sambar rice / any variety rice
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Raw banana / Vazhakkai – 1
- Coconut oil – 2 Tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Lemon juice (opt) – 1 Tsp
For Marination :
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Red chilli powder- 1 Tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 Tsp
- Peel the hard skin from Vazhakkai. Cut the head and tail part.
- Cut into thick slices as shown.
- Boil water in a pan. Add those vazhakkai slices to boiling water.
- Let it get cooked for about 4-5 min. Filter the slices and transfer it to a bowl.
- Add ginger garlic paste, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Combine everything gently and let it rest for 15-20 min.
- After resting time add lemon juice and combine once.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add urad dal and arrange the marinated slices in batches.
- Do not crowd the pan. Let it fry for 2-3 min on each side.
- Remove it and fry the next batch. Add a Tbsp of oil if needed.
- Do not cut the slices thin or too thick. Thin slices may easily break while boiling. Thick slices will take more time to cook.
- Garam masala is optional. You can skip that.
- Add lemon juice before frying.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :