Ellu pooranam Kozhukattai | Sesame seeds Modhagam (Modak)| Step by step procedure with pictures
Vinayagar (Ganesh) Chadhurthi is just around the corner. And many of you may plan to make modaks as Neivedhiyam (offering to God). I have already shared Thengai(Coconut) pooranam Kozhukattai and Pottukadalai(Fried gram) Pooranam Kozhukattai recipe. Today I am sharing Ellu Pooranam Kozhukattai recipe.
Sesame seeds (ellu) modaks are tasty and also very healthy. I am using Modak mould to shape the modak(Kolukattai).
You can shape it with hands or use moulds of any shape. Children will love this stuffing.
You may also like Ellu thuvayal(chutney) recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Snack , Festival recipe.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 12 – 13 modaks
For stuffing :
- Black sesame seeds – 1/2 cup
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup grated
- Cardamom powder – 1 Tsp
- Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
For Outer covering :
- Rice flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Sesame oil – 1 Tsp + for greasing mould
- Rinse the sesame seeds in water and spread it on a kitchen towel and let it dry completely.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on a hot pan until it starts crackling.
- Let it cool down. Grind it in a blender/Mixie.
- Add grated jaggery , cardamom powder and coconut.
- Combine everything and keep it aside.
- Heat water in a pan. When it starts boiling, add oil and salt.
- Turn off the heat and add rice flour immediately.
- Carefully combine it using backside of a wooden spatula while it is still hot.
- When it is still warm grease your palm with oil and knead into a soft dough. Do not over do it. Cover with a damp cloth.
Making Kozhukattai :
- Grease the kozhukattai mould with oil.
- Take a lemon sized dough and spread it inside the mould using your fingers.
- Fill with the stuffing. And seal the bottom with the outer dough.
- Open the mould and your kozhukattai is ready. Repeat for rest of the dough.
- Steam it for 10-12 min on a greased Idly plate.
- If you do not have a mould you can shape it with fingers. See my other pooranam kozhukattai recipe for the procedure.
- You can also melt the jaggery in the hot pan and add the sesame seed powder and other ingredients to it.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :