Mangai Pachadi | Unripe Mango with Jaggery | Video Recipe | Step by step procedure with pictures
Many of you may be drooling while hearing the name Mangai (Unripe mango), as I do all the time. While unripe mangoes are in season, we just slice it thin and love to have it with chili powder and salt, which tastes amazing. Unripe mango recipes are so yummy and always special.
Mangai pachadi is a scrumptious delight for South Indians. It has a tangy and sweet taste, which makes it so unique and delicious recipe. Today I love to share one of my all time favorite recipe Mangai Pachadi. This is a side course recipe which you can serve along with rice with sambar or rasam or dosa or any rice variety as you like. Literally, I love to take this in a bowl as a snack and eat it with a spoon (sometimes with finger).
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as a side course with any rice or dosa.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Unripe Mango – 1 (1 cup app.)
- Green chili – 1 or 2
- Jaggery – 1/3 cup or more according to taste
- Salt – tiny pinch
- Water – as needed
For Tempering :
- Oil – 1 Tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli – 1 (optional)
- Peel the unripe mango skin and chop it.
- Cut the green chili.
- In a pan, add jaggery and little water to melt it. Remove from heat and keep it aside.
- In another pan, add unripe mangoes, green chili and enough water to cook it.
- Cover and cook for 10-12 min until the mango cubes are cooked.
- Filter the melted jaggery to this cooked mangoes.
- Mix it thoroughly and allow it to combine well with the mangoes. Just for 3-4 min.
- Mash the mango pieces, if needed. (use back of a spoon or a potato masher)
- Tempering : Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add urad dal and roast until golden brown. Add a red chili and remove it from heat.
- Add this tempering to the unripe mango pachadi and give a good mix. Turn off the heat and serve it.
- Taste the unripe mango before cooking. If your unripe mango is too tangy, you may need to add more jaggery.
- Taste the pachadi before adding tempering. If needed add more red chili while tempering.
- Every time the taste of this pachadi will be different according to the quality of the unripe mango you use. Adjust the ingredients accordingly.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :